Sunday, January 23, 2011

El fin de semana

This weekend was much more laid-back than the last few days were. I'm still getting settled in my homestay, so a lot of the weekend has been me getting comfortable in and around the apartment. As for the program, they had scheduled optional tours that students could go on if they desired. I decided to go on both because they both seemed beneficial and interesting.

The first tour was just a tour of the city with our guías (guides) from orientation. We met up and walked around el centro, seeing the major landmarks. We walked through the center of the main university building known as Antigua Fábrica de Tobacos, or el Rectorado (it's a rectangular building). This is the building that the regular university classes are help, mostly of liberal arts, so I will not have any classes here. It's still an interesting and beautiful building though! We proceeded to walk down the street (San Fernando if you're wondering) where we encountered a protest while enjoying café con leche. There were hundreds, if not thousands of people partaking in this procession. Our guides were sure to tell us to stay close to them and to not wander. Once the protest passed us, we walked down Avenida De La Constitución, which is the street that the cathedral is off of. When Marta was telling us what the street was called I thought she was calling it Avenida De La Prostitución.... glad we got that one cleared up. The tour was short and sweet, and at the end of it Marta and Antonio took a group of us to get cell phones since we didn't know where to go in el centro. It was really nice of them. That was the last activity we had with our guides so it was a bittersweet goodbye. It's nice to be on my own, but the guides were actually really great to hang out with at lunch, and were cool enough to take us to bars and discotecas! I spent the afternoon at the apartment, and enjoyed a nice siesta. Around 10pm I met up with Maria, Michelle (neighborhood friends), and Alisa, and we went out to eat in el centro very close to the cathedral. (Nice view!) After we ate and had a few tinto de veranos, we took a walk along the river and walked over to Triana, which is the neighborhood across the river, where many of the popular local bars are. It was definitely busy with many people, and we ran into a few of our fellow CIEE friends over there. Michelle, Maria, Alisa, and I took the hike back and just enjoyed figuring out where we were-- still trying to get a hang of it. I do have to say that I've been getting multiple compliments on my sense of direction, because I seem to getting a hang where things are, and where we are at any point faster than others. I suppose I have my father to thank for that. (Thanks Dad!)

Today, we met outside el Rectorado to go on a tour of the Alcazar. The group that met up with larger than other groups, but smaller than the normal size of 90, so I'm thinking a bunch of people had pretty late nights. (I'm finding it's not uncommon to come home at 6am.) Even though I had already visited the Alcazar with my family, I still found it very interesting. The only problem was that it was cold! I know everyone will say that compared to home it wasn't cold, but no one was prepared with warm enough clothes. It started drizzling, and it was windy, and was about 8 degrees celsius. When you're not dressed for the weather it can make the experience less than optimal. So, the best part about the Alcazar in my mind, the gardens, were skipped by the group because we all wanted to come back when it was sunny and warmer. Plus, students have free admission, so we have no problem walking back in. Again, my afternoon included a siesta (really liking the social acceptance of afternoon naps here!). I got to catch up with family and friends, which is always nice, and then got to eat a late lunch/early dinner cooked by mi madre. Around 8:30 I met up with a different Michelle that lives in the same general area, and we walked into el centro to meet up with other friends to watch the Bears/Packers game at both an American bar and an Irish bar. It was pretty packed, and it was fun to be right next to the cathedral in Sevilla, Spain while watching some good old American football. A fun atmosphere.

Tomorrow I start my intensive language session with CIEE. This will last the next two weeks, and on February 7 we will start our actual semester classes. I'm really excited to start, and to really start improving my Spanish skills. The only place to go is up when it comes to learning more Spanish. As it stands now, I'm planning on taking these classes this semester: Spanish Business Writing (I'm required to take it), International Marketing, Managing Cultural Diversity, International Trade and Finance, and Flamenco in Andalusia. I have to turn my schedule in tomorrow and these are on there at the moment. I might drop one class after trying them out after the first week, but that decision is still a few weeks off.

Wish me luck for tomorrow!

Outside El Rectorado.

El Rectorado

Alisa and me enjoying café con leche outside El Rectorado.

Protest (Manifestación)

On Avenida De La Constitución

Alisa and me in front of the cathedral.

Sevilla at night.

Alcazar

Alcazar
Some friends outside the Alcazar and the cathedral

P.S. Let's see if I can finally find a Spanish/English dictionary. It will make life a little easier. Let's also hope I can find a nice sweater. It will make life a little more comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your updates! Dad is glad you acquired his sense of direction (and so am I!) Good luck with your classes tomorrow and with finding the perfect sweater, that all-important dictionary, and maybe even the boots you are hoping for. I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete