I woke up today very nervous. I have known who mi familia was going to be for a couple days now, but I didn't start to worry about it until today because I knew I was going to finally meet them. Although getting picked up from the hotel was the biggest part of the agenda today, it wasn't the only thing on there.
After another good breakfast, and after checking out, everyone walked once more to the business school to have informational sessions. Today they were about diversity in Sevilla, safety (always important), and activities that we can take part in with CIEE which range from fútbol y baloncesto, to dance classes, to volunteering as a translator in a hospital, to day trips. There are many activities and too little time to do them all!
We ended early and headed back to the hotel to wait. Wait, and hope for a good familia. How nervous we all felt! Sooner rather than later, Marta called my name and told me mi madre "está aqui," while a huge smile on her face. She asked me if I was nervous and she told me it would be fine, and to be calm. We grabbed my bags and brought them to the front of the lobby where I met Isabel, mi madre. She had a smile on her face and we exchanged two kisses-- one on each cheek (the spanish kiss). Isabel helped me take my bags out to the car where Miguel, mi padre, was waiting. We put the bags in the car and began our car ride. My heart was racing the whole time while the three of us attempted to have a basic conversation. They asked me where I'm from, and when I got to Spain. The conversation wasn't very consistent because it's still so difficult for me to carry on a worth while conversation, but they were patient with me.
While I started to unpack, I attempted to set up my computer to the wifi, which I was having a dificult time with. So, I asked mi padre to help, who then got his son Miguel to help me. Miguel tried for a good half hour to connect my computer to the internet, but couldn't. And let me tell you, when no one speaks English, and your Spanish speaking is weak, it's difficult to translate computer and internet terms. For example, I was having a hell of a time trying to say "reboot." I still need to look it up now that I think about it. Anyways, while mi hermano Miguel worked on my computer, Isabel fed me lunch which consisted of a bean-like soup, potatoes and onions, and some kind of beef patty. She also gave me a salad and fruit (so I got some greens too, Mom!). I finished, and attempted to help with the computer issue, thinking that if I changed everything to Spanish on my computer it would be easier for Miguel. It wasn't. Then, mi padre, Miguel, called the internet company asking for help. At this point I felt horrible for having people go through this. At the same time it reassured me that my family is very nice, if they're willing to go through all this just to help me and my internet problems! After at least an hour of all of this, my web page magically decided to work. So frustrating, but hey, it works!
At this point in the day it was about 4pm, and I went to finish unpacking. Mi madre walked in the room and asked if I like coffee, and we sat for a little watching a Jeopardy-like show. I tried again to talk with her, but it was so difficult and apparent that I just wasn't making a whole lot of sense. UGH! I know talking will get easier with practice and time, but man do I wish it was easier NOW! I suppose this immense frustration is part of the experience, right?
My next activity with CIEE was at 6:30pm. So, at about 6pm, mi hermano walked me to my neighborhood's appointed meeting point (so glad he did because I would've been lost for about 30 minutes!). Miguel and I attempted to have a conversation, and I asked him if he goes to the university and he said no. Then I asked him if he works and he said no. Or maybe he didn't understand me (entirely possible). I'm sure I'll learn in time what exactly he does. But regardless, he was very nice and was also patient with my Spanish.
I met up with the fellow CIEE neighbors, even though they really don't live that close, and we walked, with a guide to the CIEE Study Center in the center of Sevilla. Here all the students from all CIEE programs met to gather more information about activities that CIEE offers. After this, we got back into our groups from orientation, and went our separate ways to eat más tapas y tinto de verano. Everyone talked about their familias y señoras and how the first few hours went. I have yet to hear of someone who dislikes their homestay! I still think that I got lucky with my homestay, even compared to other students.
Finally to end the night, our guides took us to a discoteca, where we all hung out and had drinks. Marta bought our whole group chupitas (shots) of ronmiel, which is basically just sweet rum. Very tasty too! It was fun to be with everyone in a very informal place where we could all lay back. I also thought it was great that the guides treated us as equals, trying to show us the nightlife in Sevilla. A lot of fun was had by all!
Best of all (because I was somewhat worried), I found my apartment just fine afterwards! :-)
The view from the apartment. So beautiful!
Hi Anne,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having a great time and wonderful experience! So glad you're getting your greens. :-) Keep writing your wonderful blogs... you are doing a great job! Love you lots and lots!
Mom