Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beaches in February

Yes, you read right. Beaches in February. This weekend was (until today) a glorious, relaxing weekend. I only say until today because it is now raining, but I'm sure after you see pictures of my weekend I won't be getting any sympathy from you. It's OK though.  :)

I finished my first week of classes, which thanks to this program, always ends on Thursdays. They thought that four days of classes is enough for us, and I appreciate and agree with that thought. Always having at least a 3 day weekend is rather fabulous! I spent Thursday night walking around el Centro with Erin, and we enjoyed café con leches (which are becoming really addicting) and shopping to get the weekend started. Friday I slept in, did a little homework, took a nap, and met up with friends to do some more shopping. It's a lot of fun to just walk around a beautiful town with friends and talk and window shop. I did try on a jumpsuit outfit at H&M.... not that I'd ever get it, but why not have a few laughs, right?! Erin and I later enjoyed a night just watching movies and having a girls' night. Much needed.

Early Saturday morning I woke up to meet up with the vast majority of the Business program to take a day trip to Cádiz. Cádiz is best known for the carnival that it hosts every year, which is the third largest carnival in the world (or something crazy like that!) The bus ride was only about an hour and a half. It's great to know I live so close to a beach! We all went on a required tour with the program, which was very informative and allowed us to see more of the town.  The weather there was absolutely amazing! It was about 72 degrees and a clear blue sky. Absolute perfection. Personally, I've always loved the beach and being near an ocean so hearing the waves and smelling salt water was complete heaven. On our tour we went to a market that had plenty of seafood as well as fresh fruit and vegetables. My friends got some cherries, strawberries, and bread, and I got some olives. Spanish olives are the best! After seeing breathtaking views from the top of the cathedral, and eating our packed lunches complements of our Señoras, my friends and I went straight to the beach. For two hours we just soaked up the sun and enjoyed the fresh fruit from the market. Complete bliss.


 Some of my friends and em, enjoying the beautiful day and the beach! I can say that I touched the water. Give me another month to actually submerge though.

 Delicious. Some of the views from the market.

Also looking tasty.
 The cathedral in Cádiz. I climbed to the top (like any good Myers) to get the best view of the town!



The benefits of climbing to the top! So beautiful! 
                                           Proof that I sat on a beach for 2 hours.





Once we headed home from the amazing town of Cádiz, I went home to relax for a little bit and eat dinner until I left again to go spend some time with my friends Maria and Michelle. And now, finally after being here for 4 whole weeks, I can say that I've had ice cream-- and man was it good! I don't think there is a better way to end a perfect, beautiful day in February on a beach, than with some coffee ice cream. (See, this whole café con leche addiction is spreading into other foods now, too.)

Now, I need to prepare for my second week of classes. The next month is going to be rather hectic, but truly amazing all at the same time! My next four weekends as of right now will be spent in: Granada, Barcelona, Madrid, and Sevilla/Cordoba/Cádiz. I can't wait, but I have so much to do still!
Another couple pictures from my day in Cádiz. I can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! It looks like you and your friends are having a wonderful time. Your blog is well written and lots of fun to read! Thanks for keeping up with it! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete